Welcome to the OU Club of Wichita
Fostering the spirit of The University of Oklahoma among its alumni and fans in the Wichita area.
Sean Waugh, a 2005 High School graduate of Arkansas City, was a 2005-06 OU Club of Wichita scholarship recipient. Sean is a Meteorology student at the University of Oklahoma and has so far obtained his Bachelors and Masters Degrees. He plans to receive his Ph.D. in Meteorology in May of 2016.
As a junior at OU, he received the Outstanding Junior Award in the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences for 2007-2008. This award is based on GPA, the number of hours completed and participation in service activities on the OU campus. Sean has been actively involved with the Weather Festival at the National Weather Center and organizes weather balloon launches at the event each year.
He was the recipient of the Lloyd Noble Trailblazer Scholarship Award which is granted to the outstanding junior in college. During his junior year, he was selected as a Hollings Scholarship recipient, a prestigious national recognition. This scholarship included a paid internship at a NOAA office of his choosing, and gave Sean access into the National Severe Storms Lab (NSSL) and started his research career. Since becoming involved with NSSL, he has assisted in many different research projects, including traveling to Galveston, Tx to test new mobile radar equipment during Hurricane Ike.
As a senior at OU, he was an integral part of tornado research project called VORTEX2 (Verification of the Origins of Rotation in Tornadoes Experiment). He designed and built vehicles for the project and drove one of the lead vehicles as the convoy of 100 scientists and 40 specialized vehicles traveled 11 states for over a month, during the 2009 and 2010 severe weather season. Since then, his work at the lab has continued to grow and he has become the foremost point of contact when designing instrumentation for field campaigns.
Sean currently works for the University of Oklahoma in the National Weather Center in Norman and the National Severe Storms Lab, while working on finishing up his Ph.D. studies.
Wichita-area high school seniors1 who plan on attending OU in the Spring of 2016 are eligible to apply for an OU Club of Wichita scholarship. The deadline for receiving the application has been moved up to MARCH 1, 2016. The application for can be downloaded here Scholarship-App-2015-16
The OU Club Board of Directors will award the scholarship(s) in early April and recipients will be notified by scholarship chair Bryce Matteson.
Click on the Scholarship tab on the Home page to learn more about the scholarship program.
- Transfer students enrolling in OU for the first time are also eligible to apply.
Our club’s legacy is the wonderful students supported by the scholarship program. One regret is that we rarely know what becomes of them. There are exceptions. Today (September 1, 2015) Rachel Macari paid a surprise visit to Rotary Club of West Wichita, where OU Club president Mark Chamberlin is a member. Macari was a 2011 scholarship recipient and has completed her degree in pharmacy. She is taking a year off to decide what path to follow next. She was the guest of Dr. Michael Ludlow of West Wichita Family Physicians. Rachel is the daughter of Steve and Brenda Macari and is a graduate of Andale High School where she finished 8th in her class of 112 students and a perfect 4.0 grade point average.
- Sooners Down Appalachian State, 19-13 December 17, 2017In its first home dual of the season, the No. 20 Oklahoma wrestling team claimed a 19-13 victory over Appalachian State.
- Just Getting Started December 17, 2017The Sooners put the nation on notice by defeating No. 3 Wichita State on Saturday. Oklahoma returns home Tuesday at 6 p.m.
- Sooners Dominant in Win over Lobos, 105-63 December 16, 2017OU women's basketball handed New Mexico its first loss of the season in dominant fashion, claiming a 105-63 win on Saturday afternoon.
- Sooners Shock No. 3 Wichita State December 16, 2017Oklahoma men's basketball earned an impressive road win over Wichita State, 91-83, on Saturday afternoon inside Intrust Bank Arena.
- Rowing Adds Four for 2018 December 15, 2017Oklahoma rowing coach Leeanne Crain announced Friday the addition of four accomplished rowers for 2018.