Welcome to the OU Club of Wichita
Fostering the spirit of The University of Oklahoma among its alumni and fans in the Wichita area.
The OU Club of Wichita’s 2nd Sooner Send-Off Party will take place Saturday, July 28, from 1:30 – 3:00 at Deano’s Grill and Tapworks. 15 Wichita area high school seniors, along with their families, have been invited to meet Sooner fans for a special send-off as they begin their careers at OU.
The event is free and Deano’s will be providing some appetizers and the club will provide door prizes.
Watch parties. Summer send-off parties and scholarships. Just a few of the reasons why you should join the OU Club of Wichita. Your dues help us organize local events and continue to support local high school students who need extra money to offset the expense of attending a great university like OU.
In the past ten years, the OU Club of Wichita has awarded 42 scholarships valued at $87,400. Half of those scholarships are from the club’s treasury, the other half represents a match from the university.
Renewing or joining is easy. Just click the JOIN THE CLUB tab on the home page and you’ll go right to the payment portal. You can also download a membership form and use regular mail. You do not need to be an OU graduate to join the club. Just being an OU fan qualifies you.
Thanks for your continued support.
Live on, University.
Former OU running back and now restauranteur, Billy Sims spent the day meeting fans at his new Billy Sims BBQ restaurant in Newton on Saturday, July 16. Sims spent four hours signing autographs and posing for pictures as folks from the area dined on great food.
The day was made even more special with the introduction of the club’s 2016 scholarship winners.
Sean Waugh, a 2005 High School graduate of Arkansas City, was a 2005-06 OU Club of Wichita scholarship recipient. Sean is a Meteorology student at the University of Oklahoma and has so far obtained his Bachelors and Masters Degrees. He plans to receive his Ph.D. in Meteorology in May of 2016.
As a junior at OU, he received the Outstanding Junior Award in the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences for 2007-2008. This award is based on GPA, the number of hours completed and participation in service activities on the OU campus. Sean has been actively involved with the Weather Festival at the National Weather Center and organizes weather balloon launches at the event each year.
He was the recipient of the Lloyd Noble Trailblazer Scholarship Award which is granted to the outstanding junior in college. During his junior year, he was selected as a Hollings Scholarship recipient, a prestigious national recognition. This scholarship included a paid internship at a NOAA office of his choosing, and gave Sean access into the National Severe Storms Lab (NSSL) and started his research career. Since becoming involved with NSSL, he has assisted in many different research projects, including traveling to Galveston, Tx to test new mobile radar equipment during Hurricane Ike.
As a senior at OU, he was an integral part of tornado research project called VORTEX2 (Verification of the Origins of Rotation in Tornadoes Experiment). He designed and built vehicles for the project and drove one of the lead vehicles as the convoy of 100 scientists and 40 specialized vehicles traveled 11 states for over a month, during the 2009 and 2010 severe weather season. Since then, his work at the lab has continued to grow and he has become the foremost point of contact when designing instrumentation for field campaigns.
Sean currently works for the University of Oklahoma in the National Weather Center in Norman and the National Severe Storms Lab, while working on finishing up his Ph.D. studies.
- OU Planning to Re-Open Facilities to Football July 1 May 26, 2020The University of Oklahoma announced today that it will re-open its facilities for voluntary football workouts on July 1.
- Batchev Earns CoSIDA Academic All-District Honor May 22, 2020Oklahoma rower Andrea Batchev was one of 88 NCAA Division I student-athletes named to a CoSIDA Academic All-District Women's At-Large Team, the organization announced Thursday.
- Kellogg Named to CoSIDA Academic All-District Team May 22, 2020Oklahoma men's gymnast Collyn Kellogg was one of 88 NCAA Division I student-athletes named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District Men's At-Large Team, the organization announced Thursday.
- Reband Named Jack Nicklaus Award Finalist May 22, 2020NORMAN – University of Oklahoma men's golf returning senior Garett Reband has been announced as a finalist for the 2020 Jack Nicklaus National Player of the Year award, the Golf Coaches of America announced Thursday.
- #OUDNA Ep. 5: The Mastermind May 21, 2020Oklahoma's next wave of pro prospects gathered before OU's annual Pro Day to reflect on their college careers and how Oklahoma prepared them for the next level.
- Hurts, Nichols Up for Big 12 Athlete of the Year May 20, 2020The Big 12 Conference announced Oklahoma's nominees for the 2019-20 Big 12 Athlete of the Year awards on Wednesday. Women's gymnastics' Maggie Nichols and football's Jalen Hurts will vie for the league's top athletics honors, with the winners announced on May 28.
- OU Athletics Announces Digital Ticketing May 20, 2020The University of Oklahoma Athletics Department announced Wednesday it will fully transition to digital ticketing at all of its venues, as well as for football parking.
- OU to Face Florida in Home-and-Home Series May 19, 2020Oklahoma has scheduled a home-and-home men's basketball series with Florida for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons.