Welcome to the OU Club of Wichita
Fostering the spirit of The University of Oklahoma among its alumni and fans in the Wichita area.
Last spring, the board awarded scholarships to local high school students from the Wichita area. After an exciting enrollment and orientation, the students are encouraged to write letters of thanks to the club. This week letters from Scott Tesser, Ashley Lesser and Alison Heeren arrived. Half of your dues to the club support our scholarship program.
Join Sooner fans Saturday, October 1 for an official club watch party as the Sooners travel to TCU to take on the Horned Frogs in a conference opener for OU. Game time is 4 p.m. Great food and door prizes at Blarney Stone Irish Pub, at 21st and Woodlawn.
The OU Club of Wichita will have its watch parties at the Blarney Stone Pub, 2120 N Woodlawn in Wichita. The first watch party will be on Saturday, September 3, 11 a.m.when OU travels to Houston to take on the Cougars.
The watch parties had been scheduled at Fox and Hound until news broke of the closing of that establishment. Blarney Stone Pub owner Michelle Lindgren welcomed the opportunity to host loyal OU fans. It turns out Blarney Stone Pub is a very popular place for college watch parties. Most of our events will be in a private party room. On the occasion that room may have been reserved, we’ll be in the main room.
Special thanks to Gretchen Weber who did a great job for us at Fox and Hound and helped introduce us to the team at Blarney Stone Pub.
Watch Party dates and captains:
- September 3, Houston – Lori Ellison-Zuercher and Mark Chamberlin
- September 10, ULM (PPV) – Lori Ellison-Zuercher and Mark Chamberlin
- September 17, Ohio State – Mark Chamberlin
- October 1, TCU – Patti Phillips
- October 8, Texas – Mark Chamberlin
- October 22, Texas Tech – Brian Latta
- November 3, Iowa State – Bryce Matteson
- November 19, West Virginia – Clay Stoldt
Former OU running back and now restauranteur, Billy Sims spent the day meeting fans at his new Billy Sims BBQ restaurant in Newton on Saturday, July 16. Sims spent four hours signing autographs and posing for pictures as folks from the area dined on great food.
The day was made even more special with the introduction of the club’s 2016 scholarship winners.
- Walk-Off Win for Choose Hope Evens the Series October 27, 2016Blake Brewster delivered a game-winning, RBI-single up the middle to provide Choose Hope a 6-5 walk-off win that evened the fall world series.
- Sooners in the NFL: Week 7 October 26, 2016Two Sooner quarterbacks started in Week 7, Murray and Stills had big days and McCoy returned from injury in a big way. Catch up on all Sooners in the NFL.
- Georgina Tamez Talks to Telemundo Oklahoma October 26, 2016Former hurdler Georgina Tamez-Reyna recently was interviewed by Telemundo Oklahoma on her experience as a student-athlete from Mexico.
- Running With the Sooners: Olivia Taylor October 26, 2016This past summer Olivia Taylor studied abroad in Ireland and interned with Nike. Now that she's back in Norman she isn't slowing down.
- Long Ball Lifts Veteran's Corner in Game One October 26, 2016Austin O'Brien started the game with a two-run HR in the first and Steele Walker added a solo shot in the sixth of game one of the OU baseball fall world series.