Welcome to the OU Club of Wichita
Fostering the spirit of The University of Oklahoma among its alumni and fans in the Wichita area.
The OU Club of Wichita extends Thanksgiving wishes to Sooner fans everywhere and reminds you of the official Watch Party for the OU vs OSU game. Kick-off is 7 p.m. Fox and Hound is the place. Let’s bring the Sooner Magic and bring home another Big XII crown.
Sean Waugh, a 2005 High School graduate of Arkansas City, was a 2005-06 OU Club of Wichita scholarship recipient. Sean is a Meteorology student at the University of Oklahoma and has so far obtained his Bachelors and Masters Degrees. He plans to receive his Ph.D. in Meteorology in May of 2016.
As a junior at OU, he received the Outstanding Junior Award in the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences for 2007-2008. This award is based on GPA, the number of hours completed and participation in service activities on the OU campus. Sean has been actively involved with the Weather Festival at the National Weather Center and organizes weather balloon launches at the event each year.
He was the recipient of the Lloyd Noble Trailblazer Scholarship Award which is granted to the outstanding junior in college. During his junior year, he was selected as a Hollings Scholarship recipient, a prestigious national recognition. This scholarship included a paid internship at a NOAA office of his choosing, and gave Sean access into the National Severe Storms Lab (NSSL) and started his research career. Since becoming involved with NSSL, he has assisted in many different research projects, including traveling to Galveston, Tx to test new mobile radar equipment during Hurricane Ike.
As a senior at OU, he was an integral part of tornado research project called VORTEX2 (Verification of the Origins of Rotation in Tornadoes Experiment). He designed and built vehicles for the project and drove one of the lead vehicles as the convoy of 100 scientists and 40 specialized vehicles traveled 11 states for over a month, during the 2009 and 2010 severe weather season. Since then, his work at the lab has continued to grow and he has become the foremost point of contact when designing instrumentation for field campaigns.
Sean currently works for the University of Oklahoma in the National Weather Center in Norman and the National Severe Storms Lab, while working on finishing up his Ph.D. studies.
40 Sooner faithful gathered at Fox and Hound for the critical battle between Oklahoma and the undefeated Baylor Bears. The room was rocking as OU’s defense stifled the Baylor attack and Baker Mayfield’s gutsy play lead to a 44-34 victory.
The next Watch Party is the Bedlam game against Oklahoma State in Stillwater on November 28. No more 11:30 kick-offs for this squad. It’s all prime-time.
Wichita-area high school seniors1 who plan on attending OU in the Spring of 2016 are eligible to apply for an OU Club of Wichita scholarship. The deadline for receiving the application has been moved up to MARCH 1, 2016. The application for can be downloaded here Scholarship-App-2015-16
The OU Club Board of Directors will award the scholarship(s) in early April and recipients will be notified by scholarship chair Bryce Matteson.
Click on the Scholarship tab on the Home page to learn more about the scholarship program.
- Transfer students enrolling in OU for the first time are also eligible to apply.
- No. 7 Sooners Shut Down Wisconsin, 65-48 November 29, 2015The Oklahoma men's basketball team downed Wisconsin, 65-48, on Sunday afternoon inside Lloyd Noble Center.
- Nine! Sooners Pound Way to Big 12 Title November 29, 2015The ground game was relentless, and the defense matched it step for step, as the No. 3 Sooners trounced Oklahoma State for a ninth Big 12 Championship.
- OU Wins Reef Division Title at Junkanoo Jam November 29, 2015No. 21 Oklahoma picked up its fourth straight victory and scored 29 points in the fourth quarter to defeat Boston College, 76-61.
- Reflecting on a Legacy November 28, 2015A special moment shared between Sooner greats caps a legendary career.
- Volleyball Swept by No. 3 Texas in Finale November 28, 2015The Oklahoma volleyball team wrapped up its 2015 season with a 3-0 loss to No. 3 Texas in front of 1,386 at McCasland Field House.