Sooner Caravan visits Wichita June 12
The University of Oklahoma Sooner Caravan will stop in Wichita, Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 7 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency Wichita. Scheduled to appear are OU’s legendary Joe Washington, K. J. Kindler, coach of the national championship women’s gymnastics team, Lew Hill, assistant men’s basketball coach and Chad Thrailkill. assistant women’s basketball coach.
The event will feature an autograph session, a sit down dinner, silent auction and Q & A with all the coaches.
Tickets are $30 for adults and $15 for children 12 and under. Tickets can be purchase by calling the Sooner Club at (405) 325-8000.
Join the OU Club of Wichita
Easy, secure and convenient. No checks to write.
OU fans wanting to join the OU Club of Wichita or renew their membership now have to option of using a secure online portal connected directly to the OU Alumni office. Just go to the Join the Club section and click on the CLICK HERE link offering online registration. Fill out the form, add your credit card information and hit submit. The form also allows fans to make a donation in an amount greater that the annual $25 dues.
The traditional mail-in process is still available. Just print off the membership form, fill it out and send it and your payment to Alice Neal, 1418 Meadow Ridge Ct, Derby, KS 67037. Remember, one half of any donation is earmarked for the scholarship program.
Sugar Bowl Watch Party…a sweet success
January 2, 2014 – (Wichita, Kan) Another great season of watch parties came to end end with an amazing victory over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The club’s private room was rockin’ at Fox and Hound. The club thanks all of you who attended and to board members who took turns as captains for the seven events. Special thanks to Sean McLachlan, Kim Nikolas and the entire crew at Fox and Hound for their great service again this season.
Club holds election of officers for 2104
November 21, 2013 — (Wichita, Kan) At its scheduled board meeting the OU Club of Wichita held it’s annual election of officers for 2014. Nominated and elected were: Mark Chamberlin, president, Alice Neal, treasurer, Bryce Matteson, scholarship chair, Patti Philips, club secretary and communications chair and Clay Stoldt, membership development chair. Elected to at-large positions were Dennis Evans, Ken Haney, Nick Hummel, Anne Robertson Spradlin and Loy and Mary Eary.
“I want to thank everyone for their continued service to the club,” said Mark Chamberlin, president. “I want to especially thank Dennis Evans for his past service as treasurer, Holly Mardock for her service as communications chair and Byron Tucker for his help with membership. ”
2013 Scholarship Winners Announced
Five Wichita-area high school students have been selected to receive $1,000 scholarships from the OU Club of Wichita. The University of Oklahoma Alumni Association matches each of the local scholarships making each scholarship worth $2,000.
“Fans of the University of Oklahoma should be very proud of the quality of students from our area who choose OU as the place to further their education,” said Scholarship Chairman Bryce Matteson. “Our scholarship program is a point of pride of the Wichita club and our membership knows this year’s recipients will represent Kansas with stellar scholarship and citizenship.”
OU Club of Wichita 2013 scholarship recipients:
- Sara Bulloch – Bishop Carroll. Sara’s intended field of study is pre-occupational therapy. Sarah is the daughter of Kelly and Paulette Bulloch. Recently Sara sen the club a thank you note. Click to read Sara’s note.
- Ellen Oehmke – Wichita Collegiate School. Ellen will major in chemical engineering. She is the daughter of Randy and Lisa Oehmke.
- Caroline Breit – Wichita Collegiate School. Caroline wants to major in biology. Here sister Shelby was a 2012 OU Club of Wichita scholarship winner. Caroline is the daughter of David and Sharon Breit. Click here to read Caroline’s thank you note
- Taylor Mahan – Andover High School. Taylor wants to major in engineering. She is the daughter of Randy and Lori Mahan. Click here to read Taylor’s thank you note.
- Jessica Butler – Winfield High School. Jessica, a straight-A student ranked number 1 in her class, will enroll in OU’s prestigious Physician Associate (Assistant) program. She is the daughter of Brett and Mary Butler. Butler was also named the winner of the Sheridan Drowatzky Memorial Scholarship, an honor reserved for the top scholarship winner. Drowatzky was a longtime Wichita educator, an avid supporter and alum of OU and served as Membership Chair for the OU Club of Wichita. Click here to read Jessica’s thank you note.
 The Drowatsky Scholarship carries an award of $1250
Board of Directors
The next board of directors meeting is Wednesday, March 6 at the Candle Club in Wichita. 7 p.m. All are welcome.
OU Club member fights cancer – an update
Bryce Matteson continue to battle cancer. He now faces making weekly trips to Houston for a rigorous and difficult series of treatments. He has started writing a blog about his experience (always the journalist). This how he put it. “Thanks…don’t know if I shared or not with you but I post some journals on www.caringbridge.org. Just type in my name Bryce Matteson and visit. Messages there really help keep the spirits up. Take care!
A special site has been established to help with these expenses and you are urged to support Bryce and his family at this time.
Here’s an easy-to-use link to his support effort. HELP BRYCE NOW